In my ongoing resolution to "keep it real",
I am announcing something that will
probably blow your minds.
In July of 2011, we started remodeling Eva's room.
Key Word: STARTED
Here's my pretty girl with her daddy
(whom she has firmly wrapped - around her little finger that is)...
Her room was a nightmare to deal with.
Yucky carpet - Ripped it up.
Cracking plaster - HUGE eyesore.
Pretty much the only thing it had going for it
was the large window that faced the east
and the original trim.
Here's a picture of it when it was the boys' room circa 2007:
Do you remember me ever saying that decorating
wasn't something that came easy for me?
These pictures would be proof of that.
In my defense, at least the curtains came with the house!
So, then I got smart and realized that the boys needed
the bigger of the two rooms.
I switched them out
and put the boys in the bedroom across the hall.
I think that was clear back in 2009.
The white carpet -
which I have to admit was new when we moved in,
did not work with 6 children, 12 and under.
So, through spilled fingernail polish,
(Somehow the "No Drinks or Food Upstairs Rule" is never completely enforced - unless I go on a tirade over piled up cups/plates on nightstands, in which everyone scatters frantically or points fingers),
and other unrecognizable stains,
the carpet in their room got ripped out.
Then in 2011, I took pity on my pretty girl
not having such a pretty bedroom.
Part of that was because of the cheap-o paint
that the previous owner used
- which started to literally flake off the walls.
So, on a whim and having absolutely no clue what I was doing,
I started doing this...
HOURS of scraping all that paint off, down to the plaster underneath.
And OF COURSE there were sections that were stuck fast -
as opposed to sections that came off like peeling skin after a sunburn.
Had I known what I was getting into!
Then, we skim coated the entire room...
SCOTT skim coated the entire room.
I cheered him on.
(That counts as something, right? LOL!)
And then we waited.
For the walls to cure.
And they didn't.
It was a hot and humid summer that year.
And the stuff just wouldn't set.
So, I finally gave up waiting,
knowing that it probably wouldn't cure until fall arrived
and the humidity went down.
(This was before we had the central air installed.)
And Eva was unbelievably tired
of sleeping on the floor of our bedroom on her mattress.
So, I moved all her furniture back into the room
promising myself that I would get right on it,
as soon as the stinkin' stuff cured.
One and a half years later and her room still looks like this:
Just plain sad.
Even my watermarks on the pictures are from my old blog.
THAT'S how old these pictures are!
I have been a home remodeling FAILURE.
And technically, it doesn't even look like this.
There's been some furniture removals - and some additions.
And still, her floors looks like someone threw up on them
and her walls are plain plaster.
This would be a very good example of what I was talking about
in my last post about doing things that NEED to be done
Things that are unnecessary.
So, yesterday when I was making her bed and cleaning up
the post-Christmas break chaos, I said to myself,
"Enough is enough. This is your next project."
(Yes, I talk to myself and as long as I don't start responding
I figure I'm good. LOL!)
So, while I'm out buying groceries today,
I'm picking up some primer
- The paint has been bought for over a year -
and I'm getting to it.
And this beauty...
Bought for a steal for $20.00 at an auction -
is getting a paint job and replacing the two twin beds.
I'm actually kind of giddy with excitement to get started.
And Eva's one request...
"Just don't make my room look old, mom."
We obviously have different decorating styles.
Which is kind of a let down
because I was totally thinking about
going "Cottage" with her room.
We'll see if we can compromise.
Because my 8 year old definitely knows her own mind.
It's so embarrassing
It might take a week or better,
but my next post will be the reveal.